Project Proposal v3
The Horror Of Montage: Cut & Debased
AIMS / OBJECTIVES
Create a narrative film from archived / found or submitted footage
Create a narrative film from self-shot footage
Then apply the following criteria to these works
Create interactive, print and audio works remixed from these films.
• Can existing works be remixed to create a new narrative / poem?
• The isolation of single frames creates a new narrative.
• What does collage do to the single frame?
• How does turning the single frame into a printed work change it?
• How does creating an interactive interface that puts control into the hands of the viewer change the work?
• How does viewing a film in print form (ie: every frame of the film printed out) change the work?
• How does viewing a film via colour palette change the work?
• Live video montage using Processing / Matting
• Audio as aural collage
Lev Manovich’s theories on cultural analysis
RiP: A remix manifesto
Stan Douglas’ recombinant narrative loops
Video remix culture (EBN / Hexstatic)
Assemblage and montage (in film and on paper)
Write + create short (1 minute) films
Use these as a basis for remixed works
Explore whether print, interactive and audio elements can be successfully derived from a linear narrative (genre) film
Write + create a long form (30 mins plus) film
Use that as a basis for remixed works
Expand on the successes and failures from Stage 1
A film to be screened in a cinema
Remixed works to be displayed in a gallery
Until December 2013
January – March 2014
Short film works and remixes
April – July 2014
Reflection and further works
August – September 2014
Writing / Find collaborators
October – November 2014
December – March 2014
April – June 2014
Eli CORTIÑAS: Confessions with an open curtain (EXCERPT) http://vimeo.com/39048899
Hunting + Gathering in the Digital Wilderness by Leila Christine Nadir http://www.furtherfield.org/features/hunting-gathering-digital-wilderness
Broken Mirrors/Broken Minds: The Dark Dreams of Dario Argento by Maitland McDonagh
Mashup Cultures by Stefan Sonvilla-Weiss
The Seven Basic Plots by Christopher Booker
The Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell
http://moviesincolor.com/ by Roxy Radulescu
Remix Theory: The Aesthetics of Sampling by Eduardo Navos
Soft Cinema: Navigating The Database by Lev Manovitch